Monday, October 13, 2008

The First Serious Piece of Art I Sold...


...also had to do with HOLDING. It was painted in a "naive" hand, as it was based on a drawing I did when I was six, which depicted a human torso with a curved arm holding a bird. The painting is in the upper right corner of Krista Schaedlich's Berlin assemblage, shown here by Krista's granddaughter Sara. This is the first artwork I sold as a "grownup" artist, fresh in art school.

Going back even further in time, I sold many of my childhood drawings to passersby in front of our Austin, Texas house. This is how I got the (for a 7-year-old in '78) enormous sum of $30 together to buy myself the Easy-Bake oven I wanted so desperately. The mechanics of Art Selling are the same today as they were back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment